How Medicare Supplement Plans Work

Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B are medical insurance plans to help pay the medical costs a senior may incur as they get older. The only problem is they only cover 80% of your medical expenses and the 20% left will be the sole responsibility of the recipient. There are Medicare Supplement Plans 2018, also known as Medigap, which are offered to a person to help with the 20% expenses that one will have left after Medicare pays their amount.

There are many Medicare supplement plans to choose from and one needs to look carefully to see what will meet your medical needs. Some plans with cover you if you were to travel abroad and had an accident or illness or cover excess Medicare Part B expenses. Basically a Medicare supplement plan fills up the gap that Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B will not include.

Depending upon where one lives, and you are under the age of 65, you might have Medicare because of an illness or disability, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or end stage renal illness. The states are not required to give Medicare supplement plans to people under the age of 65. If you are and have Medicare, you should contact your states insurance facility to see if you are suitable for a Medical supplement plan.

One must consider that Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B do not cover prescription drugs. There are plans to help with this expense and you would be wise to look into these Medicare Part D insurance plans. These plans are available to those who have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B.  Medicare supplement plans can only be acquired if one has Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B so one needs to join those first.

If you have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B they will pay 80% of your medical expense you incur because of an accident or illness. The remaining 20% of medical expenses will be taken care of by a Medicare supplement insurance plan. There are many plans available to meet your medical expenses and cover various health concerns. One will need to look closely at all the plans to see what will cover your unique medical concerns. Another consideration is the cost of the premiums you will incur monthly. Please note that where you live will determine the amount of the premiums for each plan.